1. Divide the class into four groups and assign each group one of the following topics:
- History of the Five and Dime Store and Woolworth’s
- Development of K-Mart
- Development of Wal-Mart
- Reasons for community resistance to these large retailers
2. The groups will research their topic and the first three groups will make a presentation to the class of their findings from their research.
3. The teacher should then assist the students in comparing and contrasting the origins, early history, and development of Woolworth’s, K-Mart, and Wal-Mart. The fourth group will then present their findings on resistance to the “Marts,” and then the whole group will be re-divided between the K-Mart and Wal-Mart groups.
4. The teacher will tell the students that now they are an expert panel representing their retailer. It is their job to develop an effective plan for the introduction of their store into a community that does not have either retailer but where opposition to the store is expected.