1. Begin the lesson by showing either the video, Killing Us Softly 3, or the preview (listed below).
2. Then, working in small groups, assign students to research images of women in advertising, both historically and currently. Each group should attend to the following questions:
- What roles do woman playing in the ads?
- What can one conclude about the daily lives of woman in the ads?
- What can one conclude about the state of mind of women in the ads?
- What can one conclude about society’s views of women from the ads?
- What can one conclude about the value placed on women from the ads?
- Have society’s values and views about women changed much over the years?
- What other questions can be raised about the images of women in advertising?
Have students keep careful notes of their observations and discussions.
3. When the research is complete, bring the groups back together to discuss their findings.
What conclusions can they draw from their research? What does contemporary pop culture, as expressed in advertisements, have to say about women? What other examples can students give? (e.g., from music, movies, television, etc.)