1. Introduce the lesson by asking students if they have ever had to dial 9-1-1; if so, what was the story behind the call?
2. If not, and using the websites listed below, have students research the history of 9-1-1, including:
- where the idea came from
- where it was first put into use
- when it was implemented in the U.S.
- what governmental and private agencies were involved?
- if, and if so, how, it has changed over time
3. When the research is complete, have students take part in creating a Timeline of Events in the history of 9-1-1.
This lesson was developed by Averil McClelland, Kent State University.