1. The class has been asked to create a short history of the search for communists in the United States during the 1950s. This will be included in a book dealing with the history of that decade.
2. Divide the class into several groups. The job of the first group is to briefly review (useing the websites listed below) the Red Scare of the 1920s (at the conclusion of World War I) as a backdrop to the McCarthy era.
3. Again, using the websites listed below, other groups can research the story of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg, and then look at several topics in the McCarthy Era.
- Senator Joseph McCarthy
- House Un-American Activities Committee
- Black Listing (entertainers, writers)
- Edward R. Murrow
4. When the research is complete, have students write short essays on the topics they researched. This may be shared by having each group "report out" their research, or by having them create PowerPoint presentations for the class.