1. Have each student adopt a First Lady of the 20th century.
2. Using print and web resources, students should be able to identify the cause to which the First Lady lent her name. If there are no causes listed, have students consult their textbooks and identify a cause that would have been appropriate.
3. Using their knowledge of American and World History, have students write a press release identifying the cause, the First Lady’s involvement/actions, and explaining the necessity of the cause within the context of that period’s history.
4. Using the long sheet of paper, have students locate their First Lady on the timeline and note her cause. The timeline should already be divided into four year “administration” blocks with major events noted.
- The National First Ladies Library
- White House Biographies of First Ladies
This lesson was designed by Bette Brooks, Kent State University.