1. Divide students into several groups, each of which is assigned to study one of the following topics:
- the meaning of "Cathedral"
- the timeline of construction of the National Cathedral (83 years)
- some events held in the National Cathedral over the past eight decades
- famous persons buried in the Cathedral
- a short description of the Episcopal denomination of Christianity
- the architecture (Gothic) of the Cathedral
2. Ask student groups to syntesize their research into a report to the class.
3. After each group has shared its work, engage the whole class in a discussion of the advantages and disadvantages of having a "national" church, including addressing at least the two following questions:
- Should a "national" church be nondenominational?
- Should there be more than one "national" churches, synagogues, mosques, etc.?
- History of the National Cathedral
- Definition of Cathedral
- American Houses of Worship
This lesson was developed by Averil McClelland, Kent State University.