1. Using the websites listed below, have students explore the story of Pocahontas and the life of the Powhatan Indians of Virginia.
2. Have students observe the four depictions of Pocahontas shown on the website, "The Four Faces of Pocahontas." Ask them to write down the differences they observe in this portraits, and what they think the different portrayals "say" about her.
3. Spend some time on the website describing Powhatan village life. Ask students to list characteristics of the culture of the people.
4. Watch the Disney movie, Pocahontas; ask students to consider differences between what they have learned about Pocahontas and her tribe and the way in which the movie tells the story. Why do they think such differences exist?
5. Ask students to decide who the "real" Pocahontas is.
- The Four Faces of Pocahontas
- The Real Pocahontas
- The Pocahontas Myth
- Powhatan Indians
This lesson was developed by Averil McClelland, Kent State University.