1. Engage students in a discussion of what it means to volunteer, emphasizing responses that are appropriate for your focus.
2. Note that Lucy Webb Hayes was the first First Lady to give extensively of her time to “good causes.”
3. Using the Educational Biography of Lucy Webb Hayes and the website below, have students identify examples of Lucy Webb Hayes’ volunteer work. It may be necessary to define words such as “veteran” (of which war), “orphanage,” “asylum,” etc.
4. Ask students to brainstorm opportunities for volunteer activities in the present day, especially activities suitable for young people such as themselves in their community. Are there opportunities within the school community?
5. Have each student identify a volunteer activity in which s/he would like to engage. Assign a short essay on why that activity appeals to the student.