1. Explain to students the concept of Manifest Destiny, using a map of the United States.
2. Engage students in a discussion of what they already know about Native American tribes.
3. Note that the push westward and the subsequent settlement of these areas came at the displacement of the Native Americans.
4. Divide the students into groups to explore the tribal groups located in the Pacific Northwest, the Southwest, the northern plains, and the southern plains, looking specifically for information about:
- Names of the tribes
- Daily life
- Art forms
5. When the group has identified this information for the tribes in their geographic areas, have them create an artifact that is representative of their tribal group(s).
6. After presentation by all the groups, assist students in looking for correlations between environments and housing, daily life, and arts forms.