1. Introduce students to basic hygiene and health practices, like washing hands before eating, covering their mouths while coughing or sneezing, and getting rest when they are ill.
2. Explain to students that our nation has come a long way in our method of viewing disease transmission. We now recognize how germs are spread, etc. Much of what we know now helps to prevent the spread of diseases like those that killed three of the Lincoln children.
3. Depending on the grade and ability level of your students, have them draw pictures, make posters, design computer graphics demonstrating their understanding of healthy hygiene.
- Have students describe three good hygiene habits that keep them healthy.
- Tell students to describe step-by-step the proper way to complete a hygiene or health practice like washing hands.