1. Introduce students to the casualty figures of the Civil War, or perhaps only of the Battle of Gettysburg.
2. Note that many of these casualties were not battlefield deaths but rather deaths that occurred because of a lack of medical knowledge.
3. Allow students to decide which area of medicine/surgery they will research:
- Union Army
- Confederate Army
- Prison camps (Andersonville, for example)
- Specific battles (Gettysburg, for example)
4. After researching their topic, students should develop their presentations, utilizing either posters, PowerPoint, or other means.