1. Clarify the meaning of “symbol” for students.
2. Ask students to list all the symbols for our nation that they can.
3. Focusing on the flag, ask if they know how many different flags we’ve had as a nation (26). Explain that many of the different flags were changes caused by the admission of another state(s).
4. Ask if they know the design of our original flag (the Betsy Ross flag).
5. Using print and web resources, have students trace the design timeline of the American flag.
6. As a “new” flag is identified, compare it with the previous flag to determine differences. As major changes occur, have a student sketch the new flag. When the lesson is complete, you will have constructed a timeline and a design-line of the flag and will have reviewed the growth of the United States from the original 13 states to the admission of Alaska and Hawaii.
Timeline of the Evolution of the American Flag
History of the American Flag
This lesson was created and developed by Bette Brooks, Kent State University.