1. Students may be divided into working groups for this project (all groups read the article listed below). After everyone reads the article, suggested groups would be the following:
- One group to make the timeline
- One group to make a poster about the debate in Congress
- One group to provide illustrations of the White House Library
- One group to list as many titles of original books as they can find (see website below)
2. Using the web site listed below, as well as other materials about the White House which may feature information on the White House Library, plot out a timeline of events in Abigail and Millard Fillmore’s quest to establish a library in the White House.
Parisian, Catherine M., ed., The First White House Library. Pennsylvania State University Press, 2010.
Abigail Fillmore Biography
Google Books edition of The First White House Library
This lesson was developed by Averil McClelland, Kent State University.