1. The students will be able to accurately identify at least three cities in The Netherlands and place them accurately on a map.
2. The students will research the Netherlands and give examples of five attractions they would visit if they went to the Netherlands on vacation.
3. The students will successfully conduct research using the Internet.
4. The students will create a brochure or a PowerPoint that will demonstrate the knowledge gained during their research.
1. The teacher will begin the lesson by asking the students where Dutch People come from. If the students can’t answer the teacher will explain that the Dutch come from a country called The Netherlands. The teacher will then ask the students what they know about the Netherlands or the Dutch. The class will make a list of anything related to the Netherlands. The teacher will end the introduction to the lesson by showing the Videopedia video about The Netherlands.
2. The students will research the Netherlands using the Internet. They will first locate five major cities with populations over 100,000 people. Once these cities are located the students will complete the Netherlands Map worksheet.
3. The teacher will explain to the students that many people travel to the Netherlands on vacation because of its beautiful country and rich history. The students will then use the Internet to find five attractions that bring tourists to the Netherlands. This can be done in the form of a brochure or a PowerPoint presentation, and must include a brief description of each place or activity and a picture. The students will present these to the class. This activity can be completed in school or assigned for homework. The site Things to do in the Netherlands listed below will provide the information needed.
Having students complete further research on any aspect of the Netherlands could extend this lesson. Topics might include: government, economy, language, history, customs, food, etc. Students might also look at one of the tourist attractions they selected and research it in greater detail.
Dahl,The Netherlands (Countries of the World).Capstone Press, 1999.
Travel to the Netherlands (a video)
Introducing the Netherlands
Cities in the Netherlands
Things to Do in the Netherlands
This lesson was developed by Robert McClelland, Metropolitan School District.