1. Students will be able to explain the process of silk production including all steps from the hatching of the eggs to reeling of the filament.
2. Students will be able to identify four types of silk, the process for spinning each type and the products made from each.
1. The teacher will present the youtube video (below). This will give the students a visual knowledge of how silk is made; notice the illustrations from Chinese art and talk a bit about the history of silk.
2. The teacher will then either have the students go to the website Silk Production (below) or distribute the text of that site in the Microsoft Word Document provided with this lesson.
3. The students will read the information and complete the guided reading worksheet called Making Silk. This can be done by using the computer or by using the information sheet that contains the same information.
4. The students will also complete the other guided reading worksheet entitled Types of Silk that will require them to describe the methods of making various types of silk thread.5. Finally, the class can discuss some interesting facts about silk (see below).
Liu, Xinru. The Silk Road in World History. Oxford University Press, 2010.
Vainker, Shelagh. Chinese Silk: A Cultural History. Rutgers University Press, 2004.
History of Silk
Benefits of Silk
Cleaning and Washing Silk
Silk Making and Production
Silk Interesting Facts
This lesson was developed by Robert McClelland, Cleveland Metropolitan School District.